Monday, February 28, 2011

The day after breaking the fast

Last night I weighted 53.7 kg before bed. I was shocked because I thought my weight would recover much faster. Remember that when I was technically still in the fruit fast last morning, I weighted 53.3 kg on an empty stomach? I only recovered 0.4 kg for the whole day? Actually I’m more puzzled by my weight today. This morning, on an empty stomach, I weighted 53.3 kg again – can’t believe there is no weight improvement at all; after lunch, when I was 99% full, I still weighted 53.9 kg, same as yesterday after breakfast; tonight I still weighted 53.9 kg, even when I was still feeling full from dinner. It's hard to believe that my weight simply cannot recover from a one-day fast. Maybe it takes time, or maybe the low weight is not caused by the one-day experimental fast at all. I just created a weight chart to record my weight. Although I’m not concerned about my weight at all, I’m curious to see how weight correlates with different diet patterns.

Today is also my first day of menstrual cycle. It’s very punctual: right 30 days after last one, and I’m not suffering from any pain, except when I was sitting outside Tressider doing reading this afternoon: it was a little chilly, so my stomach was a little bit uncomfortable. I’m glad my menstrual cycle has been punctual and painless ever since I became a vegetarian. I’m putting menstrual cycle here because I think the one day fast, my weight, and my period might somehow be related, but I just don’t know how they are related yet.

I overate for dinner today. I just took one bowl of green salad and one plate of food, so I didn’t think it was too much. Obviously I underestimated how much the plate at Wilbur is bigger than that at Flomo. When there was only some tofu on my plate, I felt I should stop eating, but I ate the tofu anyway. I should have listened to my body. It’s impossible for me to know how big the plate is for every one of my meals, but my body always knows when to stop. So, just would like to stress to myself: listen to your body and stop when it says stop.

After the dinner, I felt there was something in my throat that was blocking the way. It reminded me of the dream I had last night, where I ate something, which just blocked there. In the dream I didn’t know whether I should try throwing up or swallowing it, and it was extremely uncomfortable. Now in real life, I felt the same about the stuff in my throat. My intuition told me it was because I ate more than enough tofu and root at the same time. Tofu is high protein while root is starchy. It looks like for dinner, I should be stricter about food combination and eat as little as possible protein, starch, and fat (PSF). I feel bad with a full stomach on bed. In contrast, I was feeling good when I was a little bit hungry before dinner today. According to what I’ve read so far, or maybe it’s just my own philosophy, after fasting, your body tries to follow a natural diet. The natural proportion of PSF is about only 20%, so now I am more sensitive to >20% PSF and tend towards a 20%-PSF diet. That’s why my body did not react favorably to >20% PSF both for lunch and dinner today. Lunch I didn’t stuff myself, but I definitely didn’t feel great afterwards; I ate a little bit too much millet. Again, what you should listen is not your habit, but your body. In the shower, I did some acupressure and the little something in my throat was gone. Interestingly, although I always know that acupressure always works, I still always wonder at how easily and fast it works every time it works. But this time it could also be that the hot shower accelerated my blood circulation and cleared my throat.

Lastly, I had a major discovery while I was recording my weight about an hour ago. The discovery is, breakfast is called “breakfast” because it breaks fast. Sleep is actually a forced fast. So people had fast even before they invented the word “breakfast”. Isn’t it amazing that a common little word that you have taken for granted for over 20 years can one day suddenly give you such bountiful insight and imagination?

No comments:

Post a Comment