Monday, February 14, 2011

Starting Vege Joy

I started this blog Vege Joy on Valentine’s Day 2011, because it’s an easy day to remember. Going vegetarian and then vegan has been an exhilarating self-exploration experience to me, so I would like to keep a diary of the joy of my Vege Journey here on Vege Joy. I intend this blog to be more of a record of what I did and what happened than an educational website about vegetarianism. In fact, what I like most about Vege Joy is that it is not only about the joy of my Vege Journey. It is also about the joy of my life. By life I mean life, unrelated to study and work. I find reflecting on life, designing my life, experimenting a new way of life, and making a change to life a lot of joy.

I created this post on the day I started this blog, but I didn’t write any content. Today, Monday, February 21, 2011, Presidents’ Day, one week after I started Vege Joy and one month after the start of my Vege Journey (btw, I totally didn’t realize that today is such an important day until I was writing the previous sentence), I’m coming back to record what happened in the first three weeks of this exciting journey.


Friday, January 21, 2011 Dinner with Mr. Fauver

I met Mr. Fauver through a class offered by the School of Medicine. I had dinner with him on this Friday night at Wilbur Dining. It was a life-changing dinner. Everything suddenly got connected, I realized that I was actually very spiritual in nature, and I became more peaceful and care-free.

I decided to learn about and start practicing meditation, so the next day I began to read about meditation online. Somehow I learned that a vegetarian diet helps people become more spiritual. I was curious and intrigued, so I began to read about vegetarianism. Then I learned how horribly the food industry treats animals and how a plant-based diet helps protect the environment. A feeling of compassion and love for nature made me want to go vegetarian. After further research, I concluded that a vegetarian diet was even healthier than an omnivore diet. At that time, I knew that I had become a vegetarian.


Sunday, January 23, 2011 Becoming a Vegetarian

I officially became a vegetarian.

I used to be a gluttonous carnivore. I LOVED sea food, dairy and eggs. All-you-care-to-eat dining halls in college were evil accomplices, which made more than 90% of the food on my plates meat. Fortunately I was not fat, so I kept on eating like that, until last year when a friend pointed out to me that not eating vegetables might be the reason why I had acne. This is so duh, but how come I didn’t realize it earlier?! So I began to eat more vegetables, but still not enough. It was not until December 8 last year, when I bet my roommate that I could lose 6 kg in one quarter by neither starving myself nor exercising, that I began to eat probably more vegetables than meat at most meals. Three weeks later, I fell in love with vegetables when eating a big plate of salad in Las Vegas. From then on, I began to be able to crave for vegetables. Coming back to school, I would sometimes even eat solely vegetables for meal out of my free will (not because of the bet at all).

Therefore, going vegetarian was a smooth transition to me. It was so natural that, except for one day when I really wanted the curry catfish at Wilbur Dining, I have never craved for meat at all since I became a vegetarian. Why did I really want the catfish? Well, a few days after going vegetarian, I saw chicken curry at Wilbur Dining and really wanted some curry. So I took some vegetables and curry sauce from the chicken curry. It turned out to be the worst vegetable ever. It had the taste of animal flesh, which instantaneously turned me off. I was surprised to discover that I began to dislike the taste of meat. However, I could not imagine that I would ever dislike the taste of fish, so two days later, when I saw the curry catfish, I decided to try it out to see if I still liked fish. Sure enough, I was still in love with fish. Even after finishing the one piece of curry catfish, I still could not stop thinking about it. So I took another two pieces, telling myself it was the last fish I would ever eat. And so far I was right.

Being a vegetarian definitely made me more sensitive to tastes, not only the tastes of animals, but also those of vegetables. I used to think all vegetables were equally plain tasting, but now I can taste each vegetable’s unique flavor. I was pretty sure that, after 21 years of eating, I had tasted almost all tastes out there, but during the first week of being vegetarian, I suddenly discovered an explosion of new naturally fantastic tastes of vegetables. It was quite a thrilling experience. It was the first time in my life that I loved every single meal I had.

Better taste is not the only unexpected experience I got from a vegetarian diet. Roughly one week after going vegetarian, I also experienced boost of energy, less sleep, and better skin. There’s a 20 degree hill leading to my dorm. I used to hate the hill and I always walked my bike every time I had to climb up the hill. However, one day, I could suddenly bike up the hill without much effort. I also easily acquired the ability to naturally wake up early in the morning (6-7am) and stay energetic all day. I used to sleep more than 9 hours every day, but now I almost never sleep more than 8 hours a day. I didn’t have acne when I went vegetarian, so I didn’t get to witness the direct effect of a vegetarian diet on acne. However, in general, a vegetarian diet is good for skin. Except the week of February 7-11, when I had breakout because of midterm stress, I haven’t had any acne on my face since going vegetarian.

Now move on to the bet I had with my roommate. I entered “safe zone” on the morning of January 27, 4 days after I became a vegetarian, and it was a huge relief. Safe zone means that as long as I hit the upper bound of the safe zone at one point, I could never lose the bet any more, but if I want to win the bet, I have to hit the lower bound by losing another 2 kg. I hated the bet, so hitting the safe zone was like the end of the bet to me. I could finally break the chain and eat freely now (although under the restriction of vegetarian). I didn’t want to become thinner, I didn’t expect to lose more weight, and I didn’t think about losing weight at all, but to my surprise, I lost 1 kg one month into the vegetarian diet. I believe that it’s not losing weight per se. Instead, I’m just getting closer to my natural state of being.

I also became happier and more peaceful. However, it’s hard to separate the effect of a vegetarian diet from other factors. This quarter is definitely much less stressful than my previous quarter, when I was doing recruiting. I also go out more this quarter. Last quarter, three of the four classes that I took had videos online, so I was mostly staying in my room preparing for recruiting. By contrast, this quarter, I began to cram a master’s program into my four years of undergrad study. Plus I am also auditing another three classes. Therefore, I have a lot of classes to attend and I bike around on campus a lot. But one thing is certain: eating only vegetables makes me feel more close to nature and my true self.


Thursday, February 3, 2011 Becoming a Vegan

I didn’t mention earlier that when I first went vegetarian, I decided that it didn’t have to be very strict. In fact, I broke the vegetarian rule twice when I was a vegetarian. First time was in the Integrative Medicine class, which offered students sandwiches for lunch. There was no vegetarian sandwich that day, and I didn’t want to starve myself, so I ate a tuna sandwich. The second time was the catfish incident described earlier. My philosophy was that, as long as I whole heartedly wanted to be a vegetarian, it didn’t matter if I broke the rule in extraneous circumstances. I didn’t like being too intentional and pedantic. I liked being natural and easy-going. I wanted to practice vegetarian out of my free will, not rules. I even briefly considered getting a small amount of fish back to my diet, because of its omega-3 fatty acid (not because I missed fish).

Then how did I suddenly become a strict vegan? First, I learned that cows and chickens are also treated horribly even when they are raised not to be eaten, but to produce milk and eggs. Second, the idea of going completely vegan made me feel more natural and spiritual. Third, being a vegetarian had been a mind-blowing experience, so I was confident to take a step further and discover more about myself. Note February 3, 2011 is the first day of the Chinese Lunar New Year. It was certainly a good start. It’s interesting that I turned from a carnivore to herbivore as the Chinese lunar year turned from Tiger to Rabbit.


Sunday, February 6, 2011 Becoming a Food Combinator

I bumped into the Food Combination (FC) theory while studying digestion time of different foods. FC was something completely new while making complete sense to me. In short, FC refers to the combination of foods which are compatible with each other in terms of digestive chemistry. It is a basic component of optimal nutrition because it allows the body to digest and utilize the nutrients in our foods to their full extent. With gazillions of rules, FC first looked extremely complicated, which discouraged me from studying it. But I gradually began to understand the whole theory and finally mastered all the rules.

It suddenly made sense why sometimes my stomach felt weird after I went vegetarian. It was because I ate too much delicious grain (starch) and yummy legume (protein) at the same meal, while according to FC, starches and proteins should not be taken at the same meal. I had a good amount of knowledge about healthy living/eating and I found FC a very sense-making theory, so I started to follow FC alongside a vegan diet. In the spirit of the post I wrote on February 15, 2011, I now call myself a Food Combinator. When first following FC, I messed up the combination rules quite frequently and I felt bad. But now I’m pretty familiar with all the rules and I feel good about my digestion. One proof that better digestion is probably not my wishful thinking is that since I went FC (and vegan at almost the same time), I have almost never had those farts with bad odor anymore. As we know, the amount you fart is one of the best indicators of how well you are digesting your food. Farts that produce bad odor is a sign of toxin formation occurring inside your gut from rotting of incompletely digested food.

No comments:

Post a Comment